Art has become pretty accessible in recent years, hasn’t it? And, yes, I’m probably using the term “art” loosely. By “art”, I mean pretty pictures that appeal to the lay person (me) that can now be found in tons of stores for pretty cheap. Usually they’re sold in wrapped canvas formation. And while that’s ok, sometimes I find myself wanting my “art” to look a little more substantial. Since it seems wrong to spend hundreds of dollars framing a piece of canvas art that cost $29.99, I wanted to come up with an cost efficient and effective DIY frame.
The subject canvas picture is found below. I picked it up at World Market a few months ago when it was 50% off (
it’s still available for sale – similar here). I’ve got a pretty large blank wall in our master bathroom by the tub and I thought this picture seemed “bathroom-ish”. I know, I know, I should be a curator in a museum with my eye and ability to articulate the meaning of art.
So here’s how I did it. Our bathroom is definitely not rustic, so I invested in some better quality wood than I otherwise would, as I didn’t want overly knotted or rough wood. If you prefer a more rustic look, by all means get the lower grade lumber!
And, don’t forget, this week we are celebrating our 1 year blogiversary!! In celebration, we are running a contest on our Instagram account (@beckhamandbelle) to give away some wall art AND a Target gift card. Hop over to IG to follow us and check it out!!
The last step was staining. I wanted the frame to be mostly black, but to show some of the nice wood grain. I actually tried a new product (new to me, at least) on this project called Minwax Pro Series Wiping Stain in Antique Black (similar here). I put on two applications of the black stain (letting the coats dry in between). And then I finished it off with a bit of walnut stain, rubbed carefully into some of the more grainy parts of the wood. It added a little something extra, I think.
Finally, it was time for assembly. This part was actually pretty easy. Since the frame added some faux depth to the painting, I wanted the canvas to be inset ever so slightly. So, on the back of the frame I marked where the back of the canvas should attach. I then drilled holes into the top underside of the frame and the bottom underside of the frame and screwed into the frame of the canvas to secure.
Ever since I made my Land of Nod-inspired shower curtain, I’ve been looking for other applications for the loosely sewn appliqué shapes. With Valentine’s Day coming up, I thought it would be cute to use heart shapes to make a pillow for my daughter’s room.
This is a super simple project, and one that you could probably figure out without me typing out directions at all! But, since this is a DIY blog, here are the directions:
First, make two different sized heart templates. The easiest way to do this is to fold a piece of cardstock in half and draw a half heart on the seam (you can see how I did this with the DIY Wall Valentines). Cut and unfold. Alternatively, if you have one of those super cool fabric cutter machines, you could just use that.
Trace your larger heart onto an ironed piece of fabric. Trace the smaller heart twice onto a different colored fabric (also ironed). Cut out with sharp sewing scissors (to reduce fraying).
Pin hearts onto your pre-made pillow case (or you can easily make one from scratch … see this post for instructions.
Either by hand or with a sewing machine, sew a vertical stitch line down the center of each heart. (Be careful not to sew through both sides of the pillow case!)
Unpin, finish sewing the case and you’re done!
First I cut two 1×2″ boards to the height of the pegboard. (You’ll want to measure your board for this measurement since they can vary.
The pegboard could be filled up a little more, but I’m so happy with the results so far and have already found it to be extremely useful.
I purchase six unfinished wooden crates from Michaels for about $10 each.
Hubs and I stained them Minwax aged walnut and stacked a couple high, and a few across for bookshelves. We chose not to nail them together so we could easily change the placement and configuration. *Note I do not recommended stacking anymore than two high without attaching for fear of them tumbling. They could also be drilled into the wall should you choose to build the stack higher.
(Find the easy no-sew DIY for the “To the Moon & Back” sign here)
As lame as it may sound, one of the rooms I was most excited about when we were building our home was the open, walk-in pantry.
I love to cook and so the idea of having space to store all of the random ingredients I have on hand was particularly exciting to me. While I’ve got most of it set up the way I want, there is a large blank wall that had yet to be decorated.
I swear the pantry has the best light of any room in the house (I’ll often shoot in there). The light made me think that a kind of “living wall” might work perfectly. Since I’m not ready to commit to a full-out wall of plants, I decided to start small with a few wall planters. I wanted to frame them to make them seem more like “arty”. I picked up these simple frames from the thrift shop (50 cents each!!) and spray painted them in silver. The planters are from IKEA, but they no longer carry them. They can be ordered here, on Amazon.