Art has become pretty accessible in recent years, hasn’t it? And, yes, I’m probably using the term “art” loosely. By “art”, I mean pretty pictures that appeal to the lay person (me) that can now be found in tons of stores for pretty cheap. Usually they’re sold in wrapped canvas formation. And while that’s ok, sometimes I find myself wanting my “art” to look a little more substantial. Since it seems wrong to spend hundreds of dollars framing a piece of canvas art that cost $29.99, I wanted to come up with an cost efficient and effective DIY frame.
The subject canvas picture is found below. I picked it up at World Market a few months ago when it was 50% off (
it’s still available for sale – similar here). I’ve got a pretty large blank wall in our master bathroom by the tub and I thought this picture seemed “bathroom-ish”. I know, I know, I should be a curator in a museum with my eye and ability to articulate the meaning of art.
So here’s how I did it. Our bathroom is definitely not rustic, so I invested in some better quality wood than I otherwise would, as I didn’t want overly knotted or rough wood. If you prefer a more rustic look, by all means get the lower grade lumber!
And, don’t forget, this week we are celebrating our 1 year blogiversary!! In celebration, we are running a contest on our Instagram account (@beckhamandbelle) to give away some wall art AND a Target gift card. Hop over to IG to follow us and check it out!!
The last step was staining. I wanted the frame to be mostly black, but to show some of the nice wood grain. I actually tried a new product (new to me, at least) on this project called Minwax Pro Series Wiping Stain in Antique Black (similar here). I put on two applications of the black stain (letting the coats dry in between). And then I finished it off with a bit of walnut stain, rubbed carefully into some of the more grainy parts of the wood. It added a little something extra, I think.
Finally, it was time for assembly. This part was actually pretty easy. Since the frame added some faux depth to the painting, I wanted the canvas to be inset ever so slightly. So, on the back of the frame I marked where the back of the canvas should attach. I then drilled holes into the top underside of the frame and the bottom underside of the frame and screwed into the frame of the canvas to secure.
One of my greatest hopes for each of my children is that they embrace every adventure that life has to offer. Growing up into my teenage years I took life so seriously. I was independent, typically a good trait, but as a result, I focused more on work and less on having fun. I want my kids to seek the fun in all that they do and live out their childhood. By trait I’m always anxious for tomorrow and have to challenge myself to slow down, be silly, be young, and seek adventure.
I want the kids playroom to be a place that cultivates imagination, education, and of course, adventure. I’ve made baby steps in my playroom project, first with their tent and then a chalkboard wall. Time permitting, it’ll get there. In an effort to get some noise on the walls, I made this “adventure” sign this weekend. As in my usual handwriting, it has a rustic edge that I love. It ended up being a bit larger than I originally anticipated (I decided to go vertical instead of horizontal last minute), but I love the impact. Again, the playroom is a work in progress, so excuse the bare walls surrounding.
My wood came from an old palette. If you have one you can repurpose, great! If not, I would recommend 1″ x 4″ untreated pine. I also have to brag for a moment that I used my Mikeeta electric sander that the hubs got me for my birthday and it is ah-mazing. (for those of you that are regular beckham + belle readers, you may know that I despise hand-sanding so this is a dream!). Palette wood can sometimes require a bit of extra sanding love that can be accomplished through sand paper or a sanding block, but the electric sander is highly recommended for efficiency.
1 palette, deconstructed, boards cut to approx. 12″ in length OR 12, 1″x4″x12″ boards
6, 1/4″ x 1 1/2″ x 48″ wood lath
Wood stain (I used Minwax, Dark Walnut)
3/4″ wood screws
Electric sander, or sand paper
8″ chipboard letters
Approx. 500 yds. 3/16″ natural jute rope
Hot glue gun
Sand each of the board faces to a smooth surface.
Stain each board with two coats of stain, allowing ample drying time in between coats.
Once thoroughly dried, line the boards up, “good” sign down, intentionally off-spaced as I have done if you choose. Using wood glue and the wood lath, create an anchor for the boards. (As I mention above, I originally did not plan for my sign to be quite as long or “tall” in this case as it ended up. I originally planned to have “adventure” read horizontally which would have required fewer boards, hence my somewhat un-uniformed lath placing).
Once the wood glue has dried, apply additional reinforcement with the 3/4″ wood screws. The final result is heavy so the screws are definitely recommended.
I’m continuing to chip away at the decor for McLaren’s nursery. I put together some simple, inexpensive pieces for the walls this weekend and think they will help tie together the room nicely. The simplicity of these makes it easy to switch out the content as the little one grows or you’re in need of a room refresh. Each piece only costs about $5, but no one will ever know it.
I purchased some inexpensive record frames (12″ x 12″) for about $5 a piece and spray painted them with a light metallic gold. A bit of gold makes an otherwise cheap frame look more expensive.
For the inserts, I found a few pieces of 12″ x 12″ scrapbook paper that work with the little one’s nursery theme. I stenciled with a gold sharpie. I did my first attempt with acrylic glue and found the sharpie to execute much cleaner with such fine stencils. These were unbelievably easy (and cheap) but can add so much to a nursery or a gallery wall in any room!