Art has become pretty accessible in recent years, hasn’t it? And, yes, I’m probably using the term “art” loosely. By “art”, I mean pretty pictures that appeal to the lay person (me) that can now be found in tons of stores for pretty cheap. Usually they’re sold in wrapped canvas formation. And while that’s ok, sometimes I find myself wanting my “art” to look a little more substantial. Since it seems wrong to spend hundreds of dollars framing a piece of canvas art that cost $29.99, I wanted to come up with an cost efficient and effective DIY frame.
The subject canvas picture is found below. I picked it up at World Market a few months ago when it was 50% off (
it’s still available for sale – similar here). I’ve got a pretty large blank wall in our master bathroom by the tub and I thought this picture seemed “bathroom-ish”. I know, I know, I should be a curator in a museum with my eye and ability to articulate the meaning of art.
So here’s how I did it. Our bathroom is definitely not rustic, so I invested in some better quality wood than I otherwise would, as I didn’t want overly knotted or rough wood. If you prefer a more rustic look, by all means get the lower grade lumber!
And, don’t forget, this week we are celebrating our 1 year blogiversary!! In celebration, we are running a contest on our Instagram account (@beckhamandbelle) to give away some wall art AND a Target gift card. Hop over to IG to follow us and check it out!!
DIY Frame for Wrapped Canvas Art
The last step was staining. I wanted the frame to be mostly black, but to show some of the nice wood grain. I actually tried a new product (new to me, at least) on this project called Minwax Pro Series Wiping Stain in Antique Black (similar here). I put on two applications of the black stain (letting the coats dry in between). And then I finished it off with a bit of walnut stain, rubbed carefully into some of the more grainy parts of the wood. It added a little something extra, I think.
Finally, it was time for assembly. This part was actually pretty easy. Since the frame added some faux depth to the painting, I wanted the canvas to be inset ever so slightly. So, on the back of the frame I marked where the back of the canvas should attach. I then drilled holes into the top underside of the frame and the bottom underside of the frame and screwed into the frame of the canvas to secure.